"Reflective thinking turns experience into insights"

"Reflective thinking turns experience into insights"

I am writing this blog to help me process all the information and discussions that are happening weekly at the Mindlab Postgrad course in Digital and Collaborative Learning.

Wednesday, 23 March 2016

Week One: An overview of Knowledge/Education and Leadership

I must admit I was a little distracted at the first session of Mindlab this week - we had trouble connecting to the internet so I was trying to catch the eye of the elusive tech assistant and in front of me was a bag of yellow playdoh so I was nervously wondering what task lay ahead.

There were two main concepts that we were starting to explore:

1. Knowledge which then relates to the purpose of education


From the Videos and notes I learnt that

Epistemology is the study of knowledge. Traditionally this was content learning but today it is more active/problem based learning.
Ontology is the nature of being and reality
Axiology studies what is valuable in our existence and in our world

How does a person get to know something?

Empirical knowledge is input from our senses, experience and observations
Rational knowledge emphasizes reason as the basis for justifying beliefs.

3 main aspects of knowledge production:

-genetic (cognitive development (Piaget), sensory motor development)
-social (cultural factors, access to learning skills)
-formal (mathematical logic, computing, linguistics)




The purpose of education was represented in a diagram by G Biestra











Frances Valintine, the founder of Mindlab, emphasized the learner in knowledge production: what will engage the learner, build resilience, help the learner collaborate better, and equip with skills to problem solve.

As a group we discussed what we thought knowledge acquisition was and we made a poster and video.
A group of awesome teachers -Carolyn, Mark, Daniel and myself.

The video was posted on the Google+ community page.






What I learnt about making a video:
My phone is not a quality recording device. It would have been better to use my ipad.
When making a recording in a classroom there is a lot of background noise which drowns out the speaker's voice.
I learnt how to download music tracks from Youtube and add them as background to my videos- I was pretty pleased about this!

2. Leadership

In the second part of the evening we were asked to "raise your hand if  you are a leader" I hesitated to do this because I am not in a leadership role at school nor do I have an extrovert personality. I do realise that we use leadership skills in the classroom though and that as a teacher I influence my students.
There are lots of good questions to think about in the coming weeks..
What do I want to lead?
How do you get to be a good leader?


Now onto readings for Week 2..

No comments:

Post a Comment